Along the banks of the Bronx River, only fifteen miles from Manhattan, lies one of the nation’s most beautiful villages-Bronxville. From its mid-seventeenth century beginnings, Bronxville has had the reputation of being “exclusive.” Today, its English-style architecture, tree-lined streets and elegant mansions have made it the choice of many Wall Street and Madison Avenue executives, show business luminaries as well as regular people who find it a congenial place to live. At the intersection of two wide and gracious boulevards, Midland Avenue and Ponfield Road, the one-mile square village has an array of boutiques and shops offering exquisite merchandise. Bronxville schools are noted for their high quality. Although the average price of a single family house is approximately $1.7 million, Bronxville also has more affordable housing in co-op apartment buildings and small, but equally charming, cottages.
Village of Bronxville in town of Eastchester
Local Highways: Bronx River Parkway
Distance to NYC: 15 miles
Area: 1 sq miles
Population: 6,500 (2000 census)
Commuters from Bronxville can reach Grand Central in 27 minutes on the Harlem line of Metro North Railroad. The Bronxville Train Station is located at 1 Depot Plaza, northbound or Parkway Road, southbound. For information on Metro North Railroad fares and schedules go to www.mta.info. Station parking: Bronxville Garage: commuter capacity: 86 cars. Call 914-337-7600 for information on permit parking. No meter parking is available. Also, Village of Bronxville Parking: commuter capacity: 146 cars. Call 914-337-2024 for information on permit parking. Meter parking is also available.
Connecting Services: A Bee-Line bus stop at the Bronxville Train Station for: Routes 26, 30, 52, 53, and 54. Bee-Line info: 914-813-7777 or go to www.beelinebus.com for schedules.
Bronxville is serviced by the Bronxville School District. It consists of the Bronxville High School, the Bronxville Middle School and Bronxville Elementary School.
You can also check the website of New York State Education Department for a full school report on Bronxville schools at http://emsc33.nysed.gov/repcrd2004/links/c66_dist
Fieldston LowerPreK-8 PreK-8(718) 329-7310
Fieldston High School9-12(718) 329-7300
The Hackley SchoolPreK-12(914) 631-0128
Rye Country Day SchoolPreK-12(914) 967-1417
The Horace Mann SchoolPreK-12(718) 432-4000
The Masters SchoolPreK-12(914) 693-0128
Archbishop Stepinac High School9-12 boys(914) 946-4800
Solomon SchechterK-12(914) 948-3111
Ursuline School6-12 Girls(914)-636-3950
Iona Preparatory School9-12 boys(914) 632-0714
Westchester Day SchoolPreK-8(914) 698-8900
SAR in RiverdaleK(718) 548-1717 x1215
SAR in Riverdale1-8(718) 548-1717 x1206
SAR in Riverdale9-12(718) 548-2727 x1503
- Bronxville has numerous small parks which offer beautifully landscaped “green space” such as the Bicentennial Park. Some have playgrounds for younger children and others, ball fields. The 21 acre River-Lake Park on the banks of the Bronx River has lovely walking trails. School Field, also used by the Bronxville Schools, has playing fields the public can use when not in use by the school. Five municipal tennis courts are available at Dogwood Park
- The Bronxville Department of Recreation has an extensive list of programs, including a day camp, tennis and soccer. Residents are also eligible for programs offered by the town of Eastchester.
- Bronxville residents have the use of Eastchester’s Lake Isle Park, a 116-acre park with a championship 18-hole golf course, five pools, and six Har-Tru tennis courts.
- The Bronxville Library, housed in a classical Georgian-style structure on one of Bronxville’s Four Corners celebrates its centennial this year. The Library has an art gallery, lovely reading rooms, an extensive collection of local history and special events with guest authors and artists.
- The Siwanoy Country Club was the home of the first PGA Championship held in 1916. When Joseph Kennedy lived in Bronxville he was a member. Today is features an 18-hole golf course and swimming pool.
- For a quick bite, locals meet at Il Bacio Trattoria for its signature Roman pizza and gelato or A’Mangiare for pasta or pizza. For coffee, Slave to the Grind has a loyal following.
- Haiku has an interesting selection of fish served in the fusion style of several Asian cuisines. For sushi try Japan Inn.
- The popular Kraft Bistro has a New American menu with a Mediterranean flair.
- Bronxville has great boutiques. For kids, Precious Angels offers high style while Fierson’s has a large selection of classics. Plaza Too has designer bags and shoes for women. Toney Toni & the Gang and Yum-Yum Tree are the places to go for trendy women’s clothes and Iris Boutique specializes in the laid-back, natural look.
- The Westchester Mall is 20 minutes away in White Plains (Bloomingdales, Nordstrom’s, Nieman Marcus)
- Stew Leonard’s, Costco and Home Depot are nearby just off I-87.
Market profiles are prepared in collaboration with real estate agents who either live or work in the town they write about.