Armonk, included in the town of North Castle, is a bucolic northeastern Westchester hamlet. What had been a mere stagecoach stop in the eighteenth century, has grown and flourished over the years to become one of the county’s most exclusive communities. At the same time it has managed to retain a rural feeling with many of its houses sited on large tracts of land. There is a bustling village center complete with practical as well as interesting shops and a diverse assortment of interesting restaurants. Surrounding the area is a wide variety of scenic parks and country clubs. With its handy location in close proximity to Route I684 and the Westchester Airport, Armonk affords its residents easy accessibility to just about anywhere they want to go. This convenience has also attracted several large corporations to the area such as IBM and Swiss Re.
Hamlet of Armonk is part of the town of North Castle
Local Highways: I684, Bronx River Parkway
Distance to NYC: 35 miles
Area: 26 sq miles
Population: 7,347 (2000 census)
From North White Plains train station, the commute is approximately 29 minutes to Grand Central Station via Metro North.
Metered parking is available. For further information go to www.mta.info
Connecting ServiceL Local bus service, the Bee-Line, provides inter-county connections. See www.beelinebus.comfor schedules and routes.
Westchester County Airport is nearby in White Plains and offers convenient service via major air carriers to points throughout the United States. www.westchestergov.com/airport/
Armonk’s Byram Hills School District has been awarded the National “School of Excellence” by the U. S. Department of Education and offers its students a productive student to teacher ratio in its K-12 classrooms. The schools within the district are:
Coman Hill Elementary School, grades K-2, (914) 273-4183
Wampus Elementary School, grades 3-5, (914) 273-4190
HC Crittenden School, grades 6-8, (914) 273-4250
Byram Hills High School, grades 9-12, (914) 273-9200
The Hackley SchoolPreK-12(914) 631-0128
The Masters SchoolPreK-12(914) 693-0128
Rye Country Day SchoolPreK-12(914) 967-1417
The Harvey School6-12(914) 232-3161
Archbishop Stepinac High School9-12 boys(914) 946-4800
Fordham Preparatory School9-12(718) 367-7500
Good Counsel AcademyK-8(914) 761-4423
Good Counsel High School9-12(914) 949-0178
Solomon SchechterK-12(914) 948-3111
St Augustine’s SchoolPreK-8(914) 232-1200
John F Kennedy High School9-12(914) 941.3849
- North Castle’s residents have a choice of numerous parks in which to picnic and hike, as well as playing fields where they can enjoy tennis, basketball and baseball. Clove Park, John Lombardi Park, Wampus Brook Park and Winkler Farm Park offer wide open spaces, an occasional lake and lovely settings for all family members to pursue a myriad of outdoor activities.
- Every year residents look forward to the “Fol-de-Rol”, an arts/crafts fair which offers an inspiring and creative way to join with neighbors in celebration of local talent.
- Armonk Indoor Sports Center is a great way to enjoy soccer, lacrosse, fitness, and tennis in wintertime.
- Rosenthal JCC offers numerous classes for all family members, including dancing, cooking, chess & basketball.
- North Castle Recreation offers year round activities for both children and adults.
- North Castle Library is open to all residents. Regular readings and plays are held, and all are welcome to participate in various book discussions and a film club. Children will enjoy the Music to Grow On program.
- The Town of Armonk is filled with the most stylish boutique stores and restaurants.
- The Supermarket in the middle of town is Food Emporium, IGA is in Banksville, Stop and Shop is 10 minutes away in Mt. Kisco.
- Armonk’s Restaurants include: Opus 465, The Beehive, Route 22, Kira Sushi (people from all over Westchester frequent Kira Sushi), Kira Steak, Broadway Pizza, Amore Pizza, Last Licks Ice Cream (Sports Memorabilia and famous ball players sign autographs here), Bagel Emporium (greatest bagels in Westchester), La Scala Restaurant, and many more.
- The boutiques offer a wide arrangement of antiques, designer wear, children’s wear, stylish shoes and handbags, electronics, etc.
Market profiles are prepared in collaboration with real estate agents who either live or work in the town they write about.