Located twenty one miles north of New York City, Ardsley is a small village, slightly over a square mile, with a world-class school system. Ashford Avenue, the main street in Ardsley, was originally an Indian trail leading from the Hudson River to Long Island Sound. The village, once known as Ashford, became a destination for the wealthy at the turn of the century. After World War II, a thriving suburb with lovely neighborhoods developed. Ardsley has excellent athletic programs and ball fields for both children and adults. Its convenience, family focus, and excellence in education have made it a highly desirable community.
Village of Ardsley in town of Greenburgh
Local Highways: Saw Mill Parkway, Rt 9, I-87
Distance to NYC: 21 miles
Area: 1.25 sq miles
Population: 5,250 (2000 census)
Ardsley doesn’t have it’s own train station, but commuters typically use either the Dobbs Ferry Metro-North Train Station or the Scarsdale Metro-North Train Station. Ardsley is allocated a number of parking spaces at Dobbs Ferry, but the spaces are limited and typically take months to become available. Call 693-5500 for information on Dobbs Ferry parking. For information on Metro North Railroad fares and schedules, go to: www.mta.info
Connecting Services: Bee-Line info: 914-813-7777 or go to www.beelinebus.com for schedules. Ardsley has excellent bus service with both north/south and east/west routes. Route #66 passes through Ardsley from Dobbs Ferry to Scarsdale along Ashford.
Ardsley is serviced by the local Ardsley Union Free School District. It consists of the Ardsley High School, the Ardsley Middle School, grades 5-8, and Concord Elementary School, grades K-4. For more information on the school district, you can access their website www.ardsleyschools.k12.ny.us. You can also check the website of New York State Education Department for the full school report on Ardsley schools at http://emsc33.nysed.gov/repcrd2004/links/c66_dist
The Hackley School PreK-12: (914) 631-0128
The Masters School PreK-12: (914) 693-0128
Rye Country Day School PreK-12: (914) 967-1417
Immaculate Conception SchoolPreK-8: (914) 591-9330
Maria Regina High School9-12 girls: (914) 761-3300
Sacred HeartPreK-8: (914) 946-7242
St. Ann’s SchoolPK-8: (914) 941-0312
St Augustine’s SchoolPreK-8: (914) 232-1200
Transfiguration SchoolPreK-8: (914) 631-3737
Our Lady of Victory Academy9-12 girls: (914) 693-1633
- Boat on the Hudson River from the Irvington or Tarrytown Boat Club.
- Hike and bird watch at Hart’s Brook Nature Preserve, a 123-acre preserve that is part of Ridge Road Park, a Westchester County Park.
- Join the Ardsley Curling Club which meets behind the Ardsley Country Club.
- Visit Waterfront Park in nearby Dobbs Ferry, a beautiful eight-plus acre park along the banks of the Hudson.
- Take a tour the Historic Hudson Valley properties of Sunnyside, the Washington Irving residence in Irvington, Philipsburg Manor, the pre-Revolutionary home and working farm in Sleepy Hollow, Kykuit, the Rockefeller family home in nearby Pocantico Hills and the Rockefeller-built Union Church in Pocantico renowned for its series of stained glass windows created by Marc Chagall as well as for its Henri Matisse Rose Window. Also nearby is the castle-like gothic revival mansion Lyndhurst, former home of the railroad magnate Jay Gould.
- New York Waterways offers a seasonal scenic two hour river cruise departing from Tarrytown and proceeding northwards in full view of awe-inspiring Hudson Valley River scenery.
- Horseback riding lessons and trail riding can be arranged through area stables such as Beech Hill Farm, Beech Hill Rd, Pleasantville (914) 762-9882 and Fox Hill Farms, 204 Old Sleepy Hollow Rd., Pleasantville, (914) 769-9813.
- Be entertained at Tarrytown Music Hall, 13 Main Street, Tarrytown; one of Westchester’s oldest surviving theaters. Built in 1885, it continues to be a venue for some of today’s most popular entertainers and productions.
- Visit The Ardsley Library, 9 American Legion Drive. Many programs, including crafts, story times and a book group are available to the public.
- The Rivera Bakehouse on Saw Mill River Road has everything you can think of… and more… that is made of flour. Pick up one of their specialty cakes for dinner and try the muffins.
- Nishi Japanese Restaurant on Ashford Avenue in Ardsley is a favorite.
- Mina’s Pizzeria Restaurant, 935 Saw Mill River Road has great pizza.
- Thai House on Ashford Ave in Ardsley has a great Pad Thai and is inexpensive and sumptuous.
- The Westchester Mall is 15 minutes away in White Plains (Bloomingdales, Nordstrom’s, Nieman Marcus)
- Stew Leonard’s, Costco and Home Depot are nearby just off I-87.
Market profiles are prepared in collaboration with real estate agents who either live or work in the town they write about.